Prenatal Yoga Classes
A pregnant body often has very different needs for movement and relaxation. Different trimesters invite different practices and needs. Our prenatal classes are tailored around your changing body and can also accommodate any complications such as malposition, various blood pressure and placenta praevia. If you are pregnant and new to yoga, then we recommend you holding off coming until week 14, as your body is busy enough developing a baby!
What to expect:
The prenatal yoga at The Dharma Shala is led by Nadine Richardson, creator of the She Births® childbirth education program.This is a new and unique practice that allows a woman to be dynamic and explore her intuitive connection to her body. Through movements, postures, breathing techniques, spiralling and specific meditations you will feel open and rejuvenated while also gaining the confidence essential to creating a beautiful birth experience. We are committed to preparing you physically, mentally and spiritually for the birth of your baby and the birth of yourself as mother. Prenatal yoga has been proven to reduce the pain of labour and increase birth satisfaction as well as reduce the rates of complicated deliveries. See here for more information.
Today’s Yoga Classes
Each class is based on the same approach:
- taking you in and out of postures correctly and safely
- using the breath for its many purposes such as clearing the mind and helping with day to day life, or dealing with pain;
- balancing body, mind and spirit to enhance all that you do in life.
A few general reminders:
- We supply mats, but you are more than welcome to bring your own.
- If you can, try not to eat an hour and a half before a class (life is busy, bananas are a great snack if you have to eat).
- Try not to over hydrate before a class—a little water goes a long way. We supply filtered drinking water!
- Bring a towel.
- For those who like to cycle, we have bike racks for you to secure your bike